Autumn in our household means baking with all of the seasonal stars like Apples and warm spices. Today Bea, Tilly, and I created these special apple cupcakes spiced with loving dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, and cardamom. The result of our team effort was a delicate, soft, fluffy cake dotted with fresh diced apples and a lingering warmth of spice. We decorated our scrumptious cupcakes with a Maple Cinnamon Buttercream frosting.
We started out with 2 apples. One made it out uneaten! Fortunately, one large apple is all you need! Meet Bea, the apple thief and best toddler baker I know!
Notice the missing apple and the apple thief in the 3rd photo!
A major difference in our cupcake recipe is the use of canned coconut milk. This thick, silky milk will yield a tender, moist crumb that is enhanced with warm ethnic spices like Cardamom and Coriander. We improvised a bit this time as we baked, so our photos may be missing ingredients we used (like Vanilla extract and Cardamom), but everything is listed in the recipe below.
Meet Tilly! She was our supervisor and key taste tester. She was ready!
We used a large Gala apple peeled and diced into very small chunks.
Bea creamed the butter with brown and white sugar until fluffy and ready for the addition of eggs and vanilla. Then we incorporated the can of coconut milk, which we first whisked since it separates in the can.
Meanwhile, our supervisor, felt the need to re-line the pan! She’s a perfectionist, I’m telling you!
The flour and spices were ready to be gently incorporated, saving the cup of apple dices to be folded in last.
This batter is so fluffy and whipped!
While our cupcakes baked we worked on our Maple Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. Tilly tested it and approved!
Rich with spice and fresh apples, these cupcakes were divine and so Autumn!
Apple Spiced Cupcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- One 5.46 oz. can of Thai Kitchen brand unsweetened coconut (whisked until smooth)
- A large Gala apple diced into tiny chunks or shredded (will yield approx. 1 cup)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- pinch of cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Makes 12 normal size cupcakes, so get cupcake liners ready.
- In mixer cream butter for one minute then add in sugars and cream for 3 more minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla. Scrape down sides in mixer as needed. When fluffy, slowly add the coconut milk (first whisk it until smooth in a bowl as it separates in the can). In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Gradually add this to the mixture, being careful not to overmix. Lastly, fold in the apple pieces.
- Evenly distribute into 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Maple Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon maple extract for boosted maple flavor(optional)
- Note – this sweet frosting perfectly balances out the subtle spice and fresh fruit of the Apple Spiced Cupcakes. It can also be used on other treats or easily be doubled for a bigger frosting dollop!
- Cream butter for 2 minutes before incorporating powdered sugar.
- Slowly add in maple syrup and extract (if using)
- sprinkle in spices
- Decorate cooled cupcakes as desired
Interested in some of the items we used?