Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in culinary heaven. Now just imagine sinking your teeth into a soft shortbread type cookie bursting with peanut butter flavor, covered in gooey dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Yep. This sweet and salty temptation is happening now with these Flourless peanut butter cookies drizzled with dark chocolate!
On fun afternoons when my girls are inventing some new game with Grant, I usually make them a snack that in someway goes with their playtime. This afternoon they decided to paint, ok splatter, a huge box and make a spaceship out of it. So I got to thinking… Artistic Astronauts need a galactic round planet cookie that is splattered in cosmic dark chocolate. It was settled, these peanut butter cookies were going to be good enough to take them to the moon!
These peanut butter cookies are so quick to make and only use a handful of ingredients. These are such a great snack when you are running low on ingredients like flour or butter.
Here’s my jar of natural peanut butter. If yours is refrigerated go ahead and microwave it for about 45 seconds to warm it up. Then stir it up.
In a bowl get your brown sugar and granulated sugar whisked together with your sea salt.
Then add in a cup of peanut butter.
Whisk it up until fully incorporated. Then add your egg and vanilla extract.
Use a spatula or wooden spoon to get the peanut butter cookie dough to form.
Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a medium cookie scoop get the peanut butter cookie dough balls doled out.
Then use a fork to press them down in true peanut butter cookie fashion.
Let these bake then let them cool on the cookie sheet and parchment paper.
Meanwhile, make your chocolate drizzle. In a double boiler or melting pot or just a saucepan over simmering water, melt your dark chocolate with a bit of butter.
Then use any tool of your choosing. I used a tiny whisk to dip then splatter the chocolate over each peanut butter cookie like my painting astronauts!
It’s so fun to do this! Get them all splashed up.
Just like the “rocket ship”!
Now let these peanut butter cookies cool so that the dark chocolate sets. Then eat!!
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (plus more for topping)
- 1/4 cup bittersweet morsels
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir up your natural peanut butter. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars and sea salt. Then add in a cup of peanut butter. Whisk. Then add vanilla and egg. Whisk then use a spatula at the very end. Drop medium scoops onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheets. Leave on the cookie sheets with parchment.
- Make chocolate drizzle by melting chocolate with butter in a double boiler or a saucepan over simmering water.
- Take a utensil like a fork or a mini whisk and splatter the chocolate. Or politely drizzle it!
- Let cool so that chocolate hardens.
- Interested in a sweeter chocolate? Swap the bittersweet morsels for semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
- If your natural peanut butter has sugar added then reduce the granulated sugar by 1/8 cup.
- The rocket ship instructions… So ours didn’t really turn out as well as the ones you can find through Pinterest! Pinterest, How to Build a Rocket ship!
Interested in what I used for this recipe?