So I know everyone thinks they may have the best banana bread recipe ever, but I’m here to tell you, THIS is the BEST! Maybe it’s the splash of rum in the batter? Or that incredibly creamy rum cream cheese frosting? The bread, the frosting, the combo of it all, it is pure perfection! Warning before we proceed, the rum frosting is so good you will be eating it straight from the bowl!
When making banana bread it all begins with ripe bananas. Ripe meaning, they are browning, hideous, sickly sweet, and about to invite a party of fruit flies into your kitchen. Not today, ripe bananas, not today! Today, you will be used to make the best banana bread recipe EVER!
Banana Bread is made in similar fashion to cakes and cookies where creaming your butter and sugars is the first step. This recipe uses a mix of both brown sugar and granulated sugar. The brown sugar will enhance that rum and the warm baking spices of cinnamon and nutmeg to be added later.
The butter and sugars need to be creamed for about 10 minutes, so unless you want the workout of your life, use a stand or hand mixer! Years ago before I owned any fancy kitchen gadgets, Grant and I would huddle in our tiny Los Angeles kitchen and Grant would do all the heavy whisking for me! Hey, it was a small price to pay for the best baked goods a guy could ask for!
You want your creamed butter and sugar mixture to be fluffy, whipped, creamy, and light. Like this!
Booze It Up!
In a separate bowl roughly mash up your ripe bananas. To these bananas, add your sour cream, eggs, dark rum, and vanilla extract. The exact rum I used for both the bread and frosting was Mount Gay Rum. This is some good rum! Mount Gay, located in Barbados, is one of the oldest rum distilleries. My brother-in-law gave this bottle of rum to Grant to sip and savor. Insert “oops” emoji here! I say use what you like to drink in what you bake and cook!
See all that rum pooling on the top of the mashed bananas and ready to infuse this batter with expensive taste? I’m telling you, Best Banana Bread Recipe EVER! You can use any dark rum, and it will give you that gorgeous depth in your bread and add the fire to your cool frosting.
To the mashed banana mixture, add your eggs and sour cream and whisk. The sour cream will make this bread super moist.
This is what your batter will look like. The bananas get more mashed, and the infusion is ready for the creamed butter and sugars.
Combine the two mixtures.
In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients. This will be your flour, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. The warm baking spices of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg will add that spicy aroma, perfectly complimenting the rum element.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour in your thick banana batter.
This will need about 45-50 minutes to bake. Let cool completely before frosting.
Let’s talk about this epic frosting! There is a fire and ice element about this creamy frosting that comes from dark rum infusing cool cream cheese. This is the stuff that dreams are made of! This is the stuff you will be using on every bread, cake, piece of toast, or eating straight out of a bowl! It’s an adult frosting, and it is exactly what every dinner party dessert has been missing until now!
Lather. It. On.
What makes this the Best Banana Bread Recipe EVER? Bread? Frosting? The Combo? You decide, and tag me in the photos!
Best Banana Bread Recipe EVER
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/8 cup dark rum
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt.
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese (full fat)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tab. dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a stand or hand mixer, cream your butter and sugars for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mash your bananas.
- Add dark rum and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in sour cream and eggs.
- Whisk banana mixture with creamed butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients from flour through baking soda.
- Fold in dry ingredients to banana batter.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper then fill with batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Toast up chopped pecans or walnuts and top banana bread. To do this, put nuts in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes in 375 degree oven, until the toasty and nutty aroma is present and nuts are slightly darker in color.
- Even without the rum, this will still be the best banana bread recipe ever! So you can omit the rum for those who prefer non-alcoholic baked goods. Or use a 1/2 tsp. of rum extract in place of the rum to still give you that rum flavor without the alcohol.
Interested in items for this recipe?