*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links at no cost to you. As an Amazon associate, I do receive a small commission through qualifying purchases from this post. Thank you for supporting my blog! For more info, please see the site Disclaimer.Jump to Recipe
Pumpkin spice and everything nice sums up my idea of Fall. During these chilly months I always have a hankering for all holiday flavors at all times of the day. So I’m starting this morning with baked pumpkin pie donuts, and you may want to do the same after you take a look at these pumpkin filled donuts coated in cinnamon sugar! I go pumpkin crazy around this time of year. So I have an over abundance of pumpkin in the pantry for the daily cravings that are determined to to overrun any chance at being health conscience these days! At least these baked pumpkin pie donuts are baked instead of fried. That’s a bonus! And pumpkin is a healthy addition. And now I just talked my way into eating an extra donut while typing this. There’s something so satisfying about crunching past a thick crust of sugar and cinnamon that gives way to a fluffy and cake like donut filled with pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin. And the leftover cinnamon sugar that’s left on your fingers to lick off at the end, that’s just a snack time well spent!
To make these baked pumpkin pie spice donuts, you’ll use a similar method to my baked maple bacon donuts. Whisk up your dry ingredients into a bowl. This dough uses a mix of whole wheat and white flour since whole wheat adds a pleasant nuttiness to compliment the pumpkin in these donuts. I also used a blend of white and brown sugars. Pumpkin is so lovely and light that it is well enhanced and gets amplified in flavor with additions like spices, wheat flour, and brown sugar. Just like my bacon maple donuts, I used my donut pan to bake these pumpkin donuts.
These pumpkin donuts get covered in a dusting of cinnamon sugar. I always melt some butter and brush it over each donut before shaking them in a bag of cinnamon and sugar to coat. You can opt for no butter and shake each warm donut into the cinnamon sugar, however, they won’t get as coated. And they’re just not the same! Pumpkin donuts without brushed butter… Pumpkin donuts with brushed melted butter… Your decision! Let me know if you went with the butter brush when you tag your pumpkin donuts on My Instagram! Follow me and use #ritzymom @ritzymomblog for a chance to be featured on my feed or stories.
Tools For Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts
These baked pumpkin pie donuts start with a thick crust of sugar and cinnamon that gives way to a fluffy and cake like donut filled with pumpkin pie spice and real pumpkin. And the leftover cinnamon sugar that's left on your fingers to lick off at the end, that's just a snack time well spent!
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, melt butter in microwave, then whisk it together with the oil, egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree.
4. Use a spatula to fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
5. Fill a piping bag with the donut dough.
6. Cut the tip of piping bag and fill donut tins. You can also use a large ziploc bag with the corner cut.
7. Bake for approx. 10 minutes.
8. Fill a large ziploc bag with the cinnamon sugar topping mixture.
9. Brush each warm donut wtih the melted butter then shake in the bag to coat.
10. Repeat with each warm donut.