The DoughTo make these baked pumpkin pie spice donuts, you’ll use a similar method to my baked maple bacon donuts. Whisk up your dry ingredients into a bowl. This dough uses a mix of whole wheat and white flour since whole wheat adds a pleasant nuttiness to compliment the pumpkin in these donuts. I also used a blend of white and brown sugars. Pumpkin is so lovely and light that it is well enhanced and gets amplified in flavor with additions like spices, wheat flour, and brown sugar. Just like my bacon maple donuts, I used my donut pan to bake these pumpkin donuts.
Cinnamon sugarThese pumpkin donuts get covered in a dusting of cinnamon sugar. I always melt some butter and brush it over each donut before shaking them in a bag of cinnamon and sugar to coat.
Tools For Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts
These baked pumpkin pie donuts start with a thick crust of sugar and cinnamon that gives way to a fluffy and cake like donut filled with pumpkin pie spice and real pumpkin. And the leftover cinnamon sugar that's left on your fingers to lick off at the end, that's just a snack time well spent!
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, melt butter in microwave, then whisk it together with the oil, egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree.
4. Use a spatula to fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
5. Fill a piping bag with the donut dough.
6. Cut the tip of piping bag and fill donut tins. You can also use a large ziploc bag with the corner cut.
7. Bake for approx. 10 minutes.
8. Fill a large ziploc bag with the cinnamon sugar topping mixture.
9. Brush each warm donut wtih the melted butter then shake in the bag to coat.
10. Repeat with each warm donut.