My Mom is coming to town for the holidays. Which translates to, I’m a hot mess today! As most grown daughters would sympathize, I start buzzing around trying to prep to impress. I cleaned the house three times over. The couches have been steamed; pillows fluffed. Tilly even bent her “I only wear PJs” rule to wear a cute pumpkin dress. On my end, I’m practicing better posture and wearing lipstick! And I have this gorgeous banana chocolate marble loaf for my mother to enjoy with her afternoon tea. I’m ready for this visit!
Every time my Mom visits she and the girls have tea time. Last time I made Chamomile Macarons. During the holidays last year I finally got my Great Grandma Sophia’s Butter Cake recipe. And this year I’m swirling and whirling with this stunning loaf!
My Mom’s favorite bakes are butter cakes, banana bread, and chocolate cake. I took this banana chocolate marble loaf as a way to combine a buttery banana bread with rich chocolate swirled throughout! This is a crowd pleasing treat that will be craved by anyone who loves a chocolate and banana cake that looks stunning!
*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links at no cost to you. As an Amazon associate, I do receive a small commission through qualifying purchases from this post. Thank you for supporting my blog! For more info, please see the site Disclaimer.
In fact, I know this lovely loaf will impress her since she trolls me on social media and leaves comments on my posts! Apparently my number one fan on Instagram is actually just my Mom! In other news, my fan thinks I need to wear lipstick more, put more savory dishes on this blog, and be a guest on the Today Show! When she found out my Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts and Baked Maple Bacon Donuts got re-grammed by their IG page, @Today Food, she thought that meant I will be appearing on the show to bake donuts! Ha! The good news is, she loved the picture and idea of this chocolate banana marble loaf so much that she commented (with her Ritzy Mom Fan alias) how she will be sending this recipe to her daughter to make for her! Thanks Mom, I’ll have it ready and waiting for you!
Chocolate Banana Marble Loaf
This chocolate banana marble loaf is a moist banana butter cake swirled with rich chocolate banana cake. The outside is thick and has the slight crunch and crumb that makes loaf cakes so snackable and scrumptious. This is the perfect breakfast with a steaming mug of coffee, an afternoon tea treat, or a loaf you’ll be picking corners from each time you pass it! And if you’re feeling extra creative, turn it into French toast!
Though this chocolate banana marble loaf cake may sound daunting with the use of two cake batters, it’s actually a breeze to make. There’s a simple method to create a second chocolate batter. Then there’s a trick to the swirl that I’ll get to later that will get you this gorgeous final bake.
As you can see, this chocolate banana marble loaf is marbled from the inside out. The chocolate banana cake batter swirled within adds richness, depth, and a deep chocolate factor that makes every bite different and extra decadent. This is the kind of loaf that you get in thick slices at bakeries that you just can’t get enough of.
That Swirl Though
To get the swirl just follow these steps.
First, make your banana bread batter according to the recipe below. Then in a microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate chips.
Next, you will whisk the melted chocolate with a tablespoon of cocoa powder until smooth.
Take a cup of the banana bread batter and fold it into the melted chocolate until combined. This is your chocolate banana batter.
In a loaf pan, put half of your banana batter. Then spoon half of the chocolate batter over that in dollops. Repeat with remaining two batters. Then take a knife and run in through, swirl it, whirl it, and get that marbled effect!
Voila! The most tasty and gorgeous chocolate banana marble loaf ever that will please everyone! Put your pics of this loaf up and tag me, #ritzymom, on Instagram so my mom gets excited! Oh, and also so you have a chance to be featured in my stories or feed! https://www.instagram.com/ritzymomblog
Chocolate Banana Marble Loaf Recipe
Chocolate Banana Marble Loaf
Rich banana bread cake swirled with chocolate banana cake for a marble loaf that is stunning, flavorful and for banana chocolate lovers!
Preheat oven to 350. Butter and lightly flour a loaf pan.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream your butter and sugar until fluffy about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Add vanilla extract and cream for another 2 minutes.
5. Fold in mashed bananas. (Bananas can be mashed with a fork). Set aside for a moment.
6. In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips. Start with 30 seconds, stir, and then microwave in 15 seconds intervals if needed. Then whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside and allow to slightly cool while you make the rest of the batter.
7. Then fold in half of flour mixture (or use the lowest setting of your mixer to incorporate it in).
8. Thin the sour cream with the buttermilk. Add it to the banana batter and incorporate.
9. Add the rest of the flour mixture.
10. Then take a cup of the banana batter and mix it gently into the chocolate. This will give you the chocolate banana batter to swirl.
11. To create the swirled loaf, put half of banana batter into loaf pan. Then put in tablespoons, half of the chocolate batter over that. Then repeat with leftover batters, ending with spoonfuls of chocolate dropped over the top.
12. Take a clean knife and swirl it! Just drag that knife around, starting at the end and bringing it in loops throughout.
13. Top with chocolate chips.
14. Bake approx. one hour. Check with a toothpick.
15. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then turn out of pan and put loaf onto a wire rack to cool.