Tender and light pastry that is used to make cream puffs, eclairs, croquembouches, and more! Here is how to make foolproof choux pastry at home.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Prepare a large piping bag fitted with a round tip.
1. In a large saucepan, bring water sugar, salt, and butter to a rolling boil over medium high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add flour in all at once using a wooden spoon. Stir vigorously over heat for one minute until a dough forms then remove dough to the bowl of your stand mixer. Or use a large bowl and have hand mixer ready.
3. Allow dough to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Then Run the mixer or medium speed and add eggs in ONE AT A TIME. Allow each egg to incorporate into the dough before adding the next.
5. Run mixer for an additional minute after the last egg has been added.
6. Then fill piping bag with dough.
7. Pipe choux pastry dough onto rounded mounds (about 2 tablespoons worth of dough) into baking sheet. You can also spoon it out.
8. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes to blast heat and steam into the choux.
9. Then lower heat to 375 and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DURING COOKING!!
10. When they are puffed and golden, remove from the oven and use a sharp knife to cut small slits on top to vent.
11. Remove to a wire rack once they are cooled enough to handle, but still warm.
12. Fill with sweetened heavy whipping cream and dust with powdered sugar for classic cream puffs.
Use a stand mixer to beat the heavy cream until soft peaks are forming. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to whisk until stiff peaks form. Keep Chilled.
Put chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, heat heavy cream until it comes just to a simmer.
Remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips.
Whisk until all of the chocolate has melted.
Allow to cool slightly.
Dip choux tops into the ganache or spread it out or pour it over.