Rye chocolate chip cookies are the grown up chocolate chip cookie you have been searching for. They are nutty, bold, rich in flavor and texture with levels of depth. Brown sugar, rye, whiskey, and dark chocolate, along with a sprinkle of smoked sea salt make these the best chocolate chip cookie ever!
1. Toast the flour. Simply put the flour into a skillet over medium heat and stir it around for about five minutes The flour should get a couple shades darker and be aromatic. Then remove from the heat to cool while you get started on the rest of these unique chocolate chip cookies.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Use room temperature ingredients.
3. First, add your butters to the mixer and beat them on medium speed for a couple of minutes. Then scrape down the bowl before adding the sugars. Let this mix for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Scrape the bowl once again and add in the eggs, vanilla bean paste, and optional rye whiskey. As I mentioned, you can omit the whiskey or use molasses for a bitter note. To add more sweetness to offset the depth and saltiness, try golden syrup.
5. Meanwhile, roughly chop up good quality baking chocolate. Set the chopped chocolate aside for a moment.
6. Chop up pecans. Put them onto a baking sheet and toast for just 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
7. Then mix together your flours, fine sea salt, baking powder and baking soda. Scrape that bowl one more time. Next. turn the mixer to the lowest speed and gradually add in the flour mixture. When it is incorporated, add the chocolate and optional pecans.
9. Bake for 10-14 minutes. At the 8 minute mark, carefully pull out the cookie sheet and do your pan bang. Sexy cookies like these just need that drama! Then put them back into the oven to finish them off.
10. Once they are still only slightly underbaked in the middle, let them cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes.
Serve with a cold glass of milk or some rye whiskey. And join me on Instagram for more snark and even more free, fun, and ritzy recipes!