Smokey, slightly sweet, with fresh fennel and citrus, black pepper, bacon, and a buttery oat flour base. These smoked honey, fennel, bacon scones are my new favorite brunch food!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil. Put the bacon in a single layer and bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy. Then carefully remove to paper towels and allow it to cool. Once cool, crumble it into bits and set aside.
2. Next. mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Then give it a mix. Grate fresh orange zest and divide the zest so you save a teaspoon for the glaze. Then Incorporate the rest along with some fresh fennel into the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg and heavy cream. Drizzle that over the dry ingredients. Pour in the smoked honey. Mix to incorporate it into a dough. Finally, add in the bacon bits. The dough shouldn’t be crumbly or too sticky. It should come together cohesively to form a disc for the next step.
4. Then turn the scone mixture onto either a lightly floured surface or a piece of parchment paper. Pat it into a round that is about 3/4 inch thickness. Use a knife to slice it into 8 wedges.
5. Then place the wedges onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the scones with heavy cream. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
HONEY ORANGE GLAZE
6. Put a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add all of the ingredients and heat for 5 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
7. Brush glaze over each scone while they are hot. Then repeat.
8. Allow the scones to cool until ready to ser
To make this scones gluten free, Use Gluten Free AP Flour in Place of regular flour.