A nutty pecan crust envelopes flambeed bananas smothered in spiced rum sauce for an open pie take on a classic dessert. This bananas Foster Galette with pecan crust is toasty, lightly spiced, sticky, and flaky.
1. Use your food processor to grind up the pecans. Don’t go too far or you’ll end up with Pecan butter. Once it is fine and looks like it’s beginning to stick to the very bottom rim of the food processor bowl, stop grinding. Stir away from sides of bowl with a spatula. Then add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and fine sea salt. Pulse a few of times to incorporate.
2. Dice up cold butter and add it. Then let that blend. Add about a tablespoon of cold water to make it a cohesive ball of dough.
3. Then flatten it into a disc and chill an hour.
BANANAS FOSTER FLAMBÉ
4. Once you’re ready to whip up the flambeed bananas bake, preheat the oven to 400 F.
5. First, melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium low heat.
6. Then mix in dark brown sugar, the spices, and a pinch of fine sea salt.
7. Stir in the banana liquor and a bit of vanilla extract.
8. Use 4- 5 under-ripe bananas, depending on size. Cut them lengthwise. As the sauce begins to simmer, set them in. Spoon over the sauce to coat each banana half. Let them cook a minute then carefully flip them. Repeat the coating.
9. Turn the heat up to medium. Gently pour the dark rum against the side of the pan. Use a long match or long handled lighter to light the alcohol in fire.
10. Then just gently shake the sautéed pan by the handle and the flames will subside. Set the flambeed bananas aside for a moment while you get rolling on that crust.
11. Place a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet.
12. Lightly flour the parchment. Then set the crust on it and roll it out into a rough circle, about 11 inches around.
13. Brush cream around the outer edge of the crust, making a circle for the middle filling. Slide that parchment piece onto your baking sheet.
14. Then carefully place bananas on top of the crust until you reach the cream border. You’ll Cover some of the bananas with the outer border of the crust. Then fold the crust over the filling and pinch it together where it meets.
15. Then brush cream over the crust. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Drizzle on some of the boozy caramel sauce. Reserve the rest for serving.
16. Bake for about 30 minutes. Then allow to cool for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Drizzle on extra spiced rum sauce and devour!