Pillowy soft sweet rolls are filled with fresh apples, a special blend of baking spices, and buttery brown sugar. Caramel cream cheese frosting is then lathered on to finish off these caramel apple cinnamon rolls.
1. Warm milk in a bowl to 110 degrees F. Divide the milk in half. Then sprinkle on the yeast onto half of it and add a teaspoon of sugar. Allow it to activate for 15 minutes.
2. For the other half of milk, dissolve in the birds custard and give it a stir.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the all purpose flour. Then whisk in the salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle.
4. Once the yeast is proofed, pour that into the dry ingredients. Add the birds custard mixture along with the egg and melted butter. Then give it a mix to bring all of the ingredients together.
5. Next, use the dough attachment of your mixer to knead it for 15 minutes on medium high speed.
6. Once it is ready, grease up a large bowl with butter or cooking spray. Use a spatula to put the soft cinnamon roll dough into the bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise in a draft free, warm place for 90 minutes.
7. In a heavy bottom saucepan set over medium high heat, sprinkle on granulated sugar. Whisk it as it melts. It will begin to turn an amber color as it fully melts.
8. Turn the heat to medium low. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, add the butter. Whisk in carefully.
9. Then once it is fully incorporated, add the heavy cream. Whisk thoroughly.
10. Then remove from the heat and add vanilla extract. Pour into a heatproof jar to cool.
CINNAMON APPLE FILLING
11. To make the special baking spice blend, use a small bowl and small whisk. Put the cinnamons and remainng spices into the bowl and whisk it until it is completely combined. Then store it in a jar for future use.
12. To make the filling, use room temperature butter. Use a medium sized mixing bowl and use a spatula to mix up the butter. Then add brown sugar and mix well. Next, mix in the baking spices and pure vanilla extract.
13. Then peel, core, and dice up some apples.
14. Butter up a 9 inch baking dish or use a cast iron skillet like I did. Pre-heat oven to 350 F/ 180 C.
15. To fill the rolls, lightly flour a surface and a rolling pin. When the dough has risen three times its original size, gently punch it down. Put the soft dough onto the floured surface and roll into a rectangle of 9 x 14 inch rectangle.
16. Spread the filling evenly over the rectangle. Leave a 1/4 inch border on the far side of the dough for the seams. Then tightly roll up the dough from the 9 inch side. Cut into 9 even rolls.
17. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and set them in a draft free area to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
18. When the rolls have doubled in size, warm the heavy cream. Then pour it over the rolls.
19. Bake for 26-30minutes, until golden brown. The allow to cool slightly while you work on the Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting.
CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
20. Place room temperature butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl. Use a strong spatula to mix the two together until smooth.
21. Then add the powdered sugar and mix. Finish with the caramel and extra boost of vanilla extract.
22. Then spread them over the caramel apple cinnamon rolls and serve warm. Use any leftover caramel to drizzel on top or reserve for another use.