Black Velvet Cake is a dramatic and full chocolate flavored cake that is deep, rich, and decadent. The use of black cocoa powder creates the black cake without any food coloring! Perfect for special occasions and Halloween.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour 2 8 or 9 inch pans. Alternatively, this recipe can make 24 cupcakes.
1. Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, scraping bowl after each addition.
3. Add vanilla extract.
4. Sift flour, cocoa powders, baking power, and salt.
5. Whisk together sour cream and milk.
6. Turn mixer to "stir". Alternate (beginning and ending with flour mixture) between flour mixture and milk.
7. Divide evenly between your cake pans.
8. Bake approximately 28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool for 15 minutes in the pans before turning out to cool onto wire racks.
10. Cool completely before frosting.
Use any type of frosting. To make these halloween themed, use orange frosting by adding orange food coloring to vanilla frosting.
Use full fat greek yogurt OR sour cream.